Jersey Shore Journal

Jersey Shore Journal - Life and Times at the Jersey Shore

Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Feast for a King!


A Feast for a King!

We were treated to a feast by our son in law’s parents who were in town for the Christmas Holiday. We started with apricot & brie, a cheese ball and crackers, & pepperoni and sausages. Everyone loved the fresh fruit with whipped cream dip, nuts, olives, pickles, potato chips and nachos. Everything was beautiful and delicious.

Then we had the most delicious roast with tasty brown gravy. These folks are ranchers and know how to do beef! Need I say more?

The roast was coated with Worcestershire sauce, garlic, s & p, rosemary & thyme. Then the gravy was made from the drippings. We also had "from scratch" mashed potatoes, corn, peas and broccoli salad. According to the chef the trick for the roast is to roast it on 500 degrees for 30 min. to make a nice crust, then slow roast it for 3 hrs at 200.

My daughter’s mother in law from Alberta, Canada makes squares every Christmas! This year she made Almond Bars and rich Chocolate Nanaimo Bars. Eat dessert first, eh? To die for!

Almond Bars (pictured above, top plate)

1 c. flour

2 t. 10 x sugar

½ c. butter

Mix and put in 8 x 8 pan. Bake 350 15 min.

Combine

4 T. Butter

½ c. brown sugar

1 t. vanilla

¼ c. heavy cream

1 c. slivered almonds

Cook in saucepan- 3 min.

Remove and pour over crust.

Bake 15 min. 350.

Cut and refrig.

Nanaimo Bars are a Canadian recipe from city of Nanaimo, British Columbia. (pictured above/bottom plate)

Bottom layer

Melt ½ c. butter, low heat

Add ¼ c. sugar

½ c. cocoa powder

Add 1 egg, slightly beaten

1 t. vanilla

Remove from heat. Add 1 ½ c. graham cracker crumbs.

The add 1 c. Coconut (optional)

Add ½ c. Chopped almond nuts

Press into ungreased 8 x 8 pan

Second Layer

½ c. butter

4 oz. cream cheese

2 T. instant pudding mix

2 T. Milk

1 c. 10 x sugar

Cream together. Spread over bottom layer.

Top Layer

4 oz. semi sweet chocolate

2 T. butter

Melt. Cool. Pour over top. Chill and slice into squares.

Makes 24 bars!

Thanks Bonnie and Gordon! Your recipes and the great meal were very much appreciated!

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Oh girl this all looks so YUMMY!!! Ok now I'm hungry also ha ha!! just found you blog and glad I did...I added you to follow if they is anything thing you need please feel free to email me my add is on my side bar...Stop by for a visit...and Welcome to the wonderful world of Blogging my friend....hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness glory, I could smell those luscious Nanaimo Bars from my blog. That's something this chick is gonna make for Hubby. ( heck, I use any excuse!) I just wanted to thank you for your visit and the sweet comment ya'll left. Please visit anytime.

    As we say here in the hills and hollers of the Ozarks, ya'll have just a wonderfully blessed day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just realized I got 2 posts...thanks nezzi & gloria...glad you liked my post...blogging is fab! I will visit your sites frequently too! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete