Jersey Shore Journal

Jersey Shore Journal - Life and Times at the Jersey Shore

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Cookies

Christmas Cookies



Here are the Christmas Cookies I made this year!
Peanut butter kisses, Russian tea cakes, Oatmeal butterscotch, & Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies. Notice the 2 dinosaurs for my grandson, below! Every year I make Chocolate Chip, Russian Tea Cakes & Ginger Sugar cookies. This is my first year to ice the Sugar Cookies. A secret I got from my southern daughter-in-law Amanda and her Mom Susan: Put a slice of bread in each of your cookie tins. It's keeps the cookies fresh. The bread absorbs the moisture in the tin and keeps the cookies fresh. Does anyone else do this? I'd love to hear from you any other tips you have on baking.
Thanks to The Entertaining Kitchen Blog http://doodlebugkitchen.blogspot.com
I got a great recipe for Sugar Cookies Icing.
Check out her blogs! She writes The Entertaining House as well @
Recipe Courtesy Cooks.com
ROYAL ICING FOR SUGAR COOKIES
3 egg whites
1 lb. confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. almond extract or white vanilla extract
Place all ingredients in bowl and beat on medium high for a full 10 minutes. Icing will become thick and glossy but will not increase in volume. Keep covered with damp cloth while using, removing small portions to bowl as needed. Tint if desired. To thin, add a few drops of water. Royal icing hardens with a nice sheen.
For some reason my first batch of ginger sugar cookies did not turn out-they did not rise. So I tried again with a fresh box of baking soda. Not sure if that was the reason, or maybe I didn't add enough flour?
Enjoy time baking with your loved ones and make a pot of coffee and share some cookies with your husband by the fire or cozy up on the couch with your pet... Sounds devine!





Sugar Cookies



Gingerbread boys- Sugar Cookies


Snowflake Sugar Cookies


Heart Sugar Cookies


Star Sugar Cookies


Dinosaur Sugar Cookies

Russian Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment